Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hillary Believes In The Resurrection!


No, really.

As we prepare to celebrate the resurrection of Christ on Easter Sunday, I found an interesting (and little publicized) New York Times article on the religious "outlook" of Hillary Clinton. Politics aside, this article is very interesting. You'll see that although she does in fact believe Jesus historically rose from the dead, she is not so sure He is the only way to salvation. You can read the entire article here if you want.

Here's the highlights from the July '07 interview by Michaeal Luo:
  • Hillary said, “I believe in the father, son, and Holy Spirit, and I have felt the presence of the Holy Spirit on many occasions in my years on this earth.”

  • Luo then asked, “Can I ask you theologically, do you believe that the resurrection of Jesus actually happened, that it actually historically did happen?”
    Clinton replied, “Yes, I do.”

  • Luo: And, do you believe on the salvation issue – and this is controversial too – that belief in Christ is needed for going to heaven?
    Clinton: "That one I’m a little more open to. I think that it is, as we understand our relationship to God as Christians, it is how we see our way forward, and it is the way. But, ever since I was a little girl, I’ve asked every Sunday school teacher I’ve ever had, I asked every theologian I’ve ever talked with, whether that meant that there was no salvation, there was no heaven for people who did not accept Christ. And, you’re well aware that there are a lot of answers to that. There are people who are totally rooted in the fact that, no, that’s why there are missionaries, that’s why you have to try to convert. And, then there are a lot of other people who are deeply faithful and deeply Christ-centered who say, that’s how we understand it and who are we to read God’s mind about such a weighty decision as that. "

  • Luo: And your attitude toward the Bible about how literally people should take it. ...
    Clinton: "I think the whole Bible is real. The whole Bible gives you a glimpse of God and God’s desire for a personal relationship, but we can’t possibly understand every way God is communicating with us. I’ve always felt that people who try to shoehorn in their cultural and social understandings of the time into the Bible might be actually missing the larger point that we’re supposed to take from the Bible. "

  • Hillary on prayer: “I’ve always responded that I was fortunate enough to be raised to understand the power and purpose of prayer...But had I not been, probably one week in the White House would have turned me into one… It’s wonderful to know that the sustaining power of prayer is there for so many of us.”

  • Clinton said in the November speech one of her favorite passages of the Bible is the book of James’ admonition that “faith without works is dead.”
    “But I have concluded that works without faith is just too hard,” she said. “It cannot be sustained over one’s life or the generations. And it’s important for us to recognize how, here in what you are doing, faith and works comes together.”

What do you think?? Are these just "political" answers or do you think she truly has a form of faith? How can she proclaim that the whole Bible is "real" and condone gay marriage and abortion? - JR

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not about Hillary, but where the stink is THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS in your Final Four Poll? Don't you know they are going to take it all the way? Hook em' Horns!

Brian said...

UT is not worthy of our poll. They are a football school.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe that you can straddle the fence when it comes to believing in Christ. The Bible is pretty clear about homosexuality. 1 Cor 6-9/Lev 18-22/Lev 20-13 and in the New testement Rom 1:24-27. I consider the abortion of a fetus murder, "Thou shalt not kill." I think in her heart she probably believes that Jesus came and died for our sins but in reading her responses it sounds like she went around the response and came up with a politically correct answer to get votes.

Jennifer said...

I agree!!