Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Outreach '08

This past Saturday was another great Englewood night. Pastor Brad Oyler and Pastor Amy Bales headed up two different teams that went out and placed door hangers on local homes inviting them to our 12th annual Thanksgiving outreach. They passed out approximately 2,500 door hangers, and we prayed and waited for the community to come.

The service and give-a-ways were scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m., but people began to arrive a little before 4:oo p.m. At one point, the line went up and around the corner. We had 643 people register with many others coming to the service unregistered. All in all, we had over 700 people show up. But that's not the best part.

The service started with the band and media departments doing an awesome job, and then I followed with a simple illustrated message. After the message was over, nearly 70 people came forward to accept Christ as their personal Lord and Savior. And that's why we do it!

Afterwards, we gave away approximately 150 turkeys and 200 boxes of food. This allowed us to minister not just in word, but also in deed. This year was the smoothest in moving the people from registration to service to food lines. A BIG THANK YOU to all who gave, assisted and ministered to our community. I am very proud of you and of what God is doing through our church.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Brian,
As you know I am deployed. I reached my destination a week ago and I am well. I can see that the Thanksgiving outreach was a success! The lord is working and showing his mighty power through you and the church. Thanksgiving here was very nice. We had the traditional turkey dinner but with a few added features of; prime rib, lobster tail, shrimp cocktail to name a few and the dessert bar was just poundfully awesome! Baskin Robbins is the ice cream vendor here so need I say more! If I'm not careful I could come back rather large. I'm glad that the military makes us do PT (physical fitness training) because it would be very easy to get portly. I ask that you pray for all of the soldiers during this deployment and I will be praying for our church and you as well so the lord may keep annointing you with the great sermons you preach. Tell everyone in the church I said hello and I miss the fellowship and Happy Thanksgiving and may God bless you all. P.S. I'm glad that you have this blog site! It's awesome!!!!

Eating Sand (WMH)I can't put my name on this because of security reasons but I hope you remember me.

Tell brother Woody I said hello and that dinner is on me next time when I get home!

Anonymous said...

Hello Pastor Brian!

I am a member of your church and I'm currently deployed. I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate your blog site. I can read my daily devotions and stay current on what is taking place in our church. It makes me feel a little closer to home. I am glad to here that the Thanksgiving outreach was such a great success! It shows that the Lord is working through you and the church to bring people to Christ. Your sermons are an inspiration to me as I listen to them during this deployment. Thanksgiving dinner for us here was great. We had the traditional turkey dinner but with a variety of dishes such as, prime rib, lobster tails, shrimp cocktail, crab cakes and all the dessert you could possibly think of. The ice cream vendor here is baskin robbins,"Need I say more." I'm glad that the army has a mandatory Physcial fitness program because I can see how easy it would be to gain pounds here with such good food. Well, tell everyone in the Church hello and I miss the fellowship with them and to keep all soldiers everywhere in their prayers. Tell Brother Woody and his wife I said hello and I miss them and their fellowship.
Take care all!
MSG WMH
IN THE SAND

Anonymous said...

I wrote one before but I don't know if you got it or not about me being deployed. Due to security measures implemented by the military we must be careful about what we say on blog sites. That is why my name and where I am located is not in the previous message. I imagine some of the people in the church know who I am HINT:(Black female)who has a cousin that is disabled. Just in case you weren't sure. Take Care.

Brian said...

We definitely remember you and want you to know that we are praying for your safe return. God bless you!