Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Life of a Pastor

From Monday afternoon to Tuesday morning, I have had the time of my life! Pastors deal with a lot of things that we don't enjoy or are difficult. But everyone once in a while, we get to participate in things that are really fun and rewarding.

In my son's kindergarten class the letters of the alphabet are reinforced with cute rhymes and songs. When two words start with the same letter such as "Taco Tuesday," it's called a double whammy, emphasizing the letter and its sound quality. So Monday I dressed up in the church's Toby the Tiger outfit and made an appearance to four different classes. It was great, but the kids did not have as much fun as I did. It is really liberating have a mask on and no one know who you are! I think there's a sermon in there??? I would like to thank Mrs. Bailey and the school for allowing me to participate.

Then on Tuesday we went to a rodeo for a video shoot for the "Live Like You Were Dying" series. You know the song, "...I went 2.7 seconds, on a bull named Fu Man Chu." Well, I rode a 600+ lb. Brahma bull. You'll have to wait for the video to find out how long I actually went, but it was awesome. The ride is great; the hard part is getting off!

A special thanks goes out to Benjamin Ranch for allowing us to come and use their facilities; to Roger and Sha'rrell Haws for setting it up--are you trying to kill me?; and to Pastor Ryan for running the camera. It should be a pretty funny video.

These are the times that make being a pastor fun, causing me to reflect on why I enjoy it so much. I love being involved with kids and the community, as well as using creative ways to promote the Lord. The tougher times are what cause me to reflect on the fact that I know God has called me to do what I do. It's both the joy and the pain that brings growth, maturity, fulfillment, and blessing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you sure this isn't going to be some type of media shop video spliced to put you in the picture :) look forward to seeing it

Anonymous said...

I was there!!!! this is for real!!! It was sooooo good!!

Anonymous said...

Great to see you and Jennifer are doing well and at the same church you started at upon graduation. That is truly rare to say the least.

Look forward to catching up. I am on facebook (edward tolliver).

Blessings....

--Ed