Thursday, June 26, 2008

One Prayer Devotion #14: Make Us Passionate for Kids


During the month of June, we did "Buck Nights" every Wed. night after church. People could come down to the gym to hang out and get snacks like nachos, root beer floats, etc. for $1. A couple weeks ago, I spotted a little blonde cutie, sitting by herself with some nachos. I talked to her awhile and she gave me her name and told me how much she loves coming to church. I found out she rides to church with her sister on our van ministry. They both attend Mpact Girls Club.


That same Wed. night our Royal Rangers had all the boys do cards to their Dads for Father's Day. One boy, who attends with some neighbors, made the card below for his Dad. It's hard to read so here is the text:

"Dear Dad I know you haven't been there for us because you are in jail but you love me and I love you. That's the best thing about Father's Day."
We must be passionate for kids! We must serve in areas of children's ministries. We need quality, committed, and willing adults to serve in our nurseries, kids church, and Wed. night activities. I truly believe we have many great and loving people in our church that could be involved with kids in some way. Is it you?

I'm going to get on a soapbox here, but how can our church have such a heart for outreach, yet lack volunteers in our own children's ministries? It's not right.

Don't get me wrong, I love outreach and I think healthy churches have strong outreach. But are we cancelling ourselves out if we don't do our best for our own kids or the neighborhood kids God sends us? Why is it easier to get people to pass out a sack of groceries vs. changing a diaper or reading a story to precious little ones in our own building?

Come on. We can all contribute to the future of a child. Let's get passionate for kids!

6 comments:

debimoon@gmail.com said...

As one of the nursery coordinators, I can't even tell you how much I agree with what you just posted! We do need volunteers, I know there are LOTS of people that love kids, and it's only once a month if you volunteer! Let's remember how important our kids are and give them the love they need!

Anonymous said...

How can we do an outreach and not reach out every Sunday? If we have learned anything from this time it should be passion, for God. How can we just sit on our hands and do nothing? How can we ask God for "anything" if we won't do "something" for Him? Where are all the "great" people in our church, when it comes to serving others? Why does a church of close to 1000 hurt for wokers in every area, especially in the kids?

Anonymous said...

24 hours in a day. 168 in a week. 61,320 in a year. Can't we spare one a month too fold clothes at the Dream Center or hug a kid or two?

Anonymous said...

Might I suggest direction be ginen to those that might not know what areas need help and who to contact. I am sure there are some people in the church that might not be as aggressive as some to seek this information on there own. If a name is just given for contact they might not know who that is and again if they are not aggressive they may be afraid to ask.

debimoon@gmail.com said...

For anyone who wants more information, they can talk to me if they want, I'm the first week coordinator for nurseries, and would be more than happy to send them to the right person if they want info on something other than nurseries! My name is Debi Moon and I'm pretty much always there :)

Anonymous said...

Amen!