Wednesday, June 11, 2008

8 Reasons Why Prayers May Not Be Answered

A few months ago, I came across this blog post on unanswered prayer. I saved it because I had never seen the reasons listed out like this before. And I love lists. I think maybe it fits right in with our current One Prayer theme.

The author is Barry Shepherd, who happens to be a VIP in my life. Barry was my youth pastor. He was there when I became a Christian at age 14. You know what impacted me the most about Barry? He wasn't just my youth pastor, preaching and teaching at me and driving me around in the church van. He was my friend. He spent time with me. We hung out.

Here is something to think about when it seems our prayers are not answered:

1. We may have a wrong motive in prayer – James 4:3.

2. There may be a cherished sin in our heart – Psalm 66:18.

3. Lack of love in action may keep us from answers to prayer – 1 John 3:20-22.

4. Any unforgiveness hinders prayers – Mark 11:25.

5. Lack of consideration & respect between husband & wife hinders prayer – 1 Peter 3:1-7.

6. Lack of generosity with God and His people will hinder prayers – Luke 6:38; Phil. 4:19.

7. Lack of belief or trust in God hinders answers to prayer – James 1:5-7; Psalm 37:5-7.

8. The resistance of the enemy may keep your prayers unanswered (temporarily) – Daniel 10:12-13.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love lists too! I really like how he breaks it down so simply.... points to ponder.