Monday, May 5, 2008

Washington D. C. -Wrap Up

Above: ECA 6th graders with Principal Debbie Evans

The final day of the trip was filled with lots of learning. We started the day by going to the Peterson House across from Ford's Theater. This is where President Abraham Lincoln died. (Ford's Theater was actually closed for renovation).

Next, we walked a couple blocks to The Old Post Office . It is quite a building with a wonderful view of D. C. from its tower. The building was also used as the first F.B.I. headquarters, complete with a training facility and shooting range in the basement for new recruits.

After lunch, we toured two Smithsonian Museums. The first was the Air and Space Museum where the students actually got to simulate landing an F-3 fighter onto an aircraft carrier. And then off to the Museum of Natural History. We saw the Hope Diamond, the object of every woman's dream, along with ancient artifacts from around the world (think: Night at the Museum). By the way, the strawberry gelato is awesome there!

The trip was wonderful and I learned many new things myself. The greatest blessing was spending time with my son, Joseph, and getting to know the students better. I had a great time with them. This is truly a special class filled with many talented individuals. I also enjoyed spending time with the other sponsors. They are Godly, wise and each unique in their own way. Mr. and Mrs. Evans, of course, were fantastic. Their insight from years of experience and Phil being able to maneuver the city was an unbeatable combination. I hope that we created memories, learning, and character experiences for each student. I know that many of them taught me something throughout the week. May God continue to bless you all! Here's a few more pictures:


Meeting with Rep. Emmanuel Cleaver, II


Joe & I at the Jefferson Memorial

One of Joe's favorite stops was the Iwo Jima Memorial

No comments: