Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Long Goodbye

It's been a long, difficult, challenging, period of time since we announced that our school, Englewood Christian Academy, would be closing at the end of the school year. For many, it is the only school they have ever known, including my own children. My heart breaks for all of our families that are affected by this closure, but for the Junior Class it has been especially hard. They must now transfer for their senior year.

For me, I have become very emotional, mostly in private (in fact, crying right now....everybody say "awwww"). If you know me, this is very uncharacteristic. I have a lot of trouble sleeping. My spirit is in a state of unrest. My husband is not a very popular person in some circles due to this decision. Some who were once close supporters and encouragers have gone curiously.... silent. It hurts. It definitely hasn't been a perfect process, but I know he's tried to do it the right way (why would he try to do it the wrong way?).

The bottom line is everyone is frustrated and disappointed in their own way. And everyone deals with that frustration and disappointment in their own way. I would only encourage everybody to PRAY FOR ONE ANOTHER. Don't go silent. Galatians 6:2 says to "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."

Philippians 2:1-2 says it best... "If you've gotten anything at all out of following Christ, if his love has made any difference in your life, if being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care— then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends."

For months we have known what is coming. The end of a ministry that touched thousands of lives for 33 years. The end of jobs. The end of daily relationships. The end of chapels. The end of excited lunchroom voices. The end of playground fun. The end of class trips, and so much more. It has indeed been The Long Goodbye.

Please join us for the ECA Tribute Service on Wednesday, May 21 @ 7pm at Englewood Ministries. We will be honoring 33 years of ministry with stories, testimonies, video presentations and more. A reception will follow in the gym. All current & former students and faculty in attendance will receive a special free gift. You won't want to miss it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am excited about what God is doing in my life and in my church...even if it means He will need to weed out some. I have prayed for a long time that our church would grasp ahold of Phil 2:1-2 and be the church God intended us to be. I have found that when you pray for someone regularly it is easier to trust them in their decisions whether you agree with them or not. I wish we could learn to take our cares and concerns to God instead of each other as He can actually do something about them. Be encouraged!

c.w. goad said...

All day, I have felt like there's someone I'm supposed to be praying for. I've been searching the blogs.... show me Lord. I know your circumstances are probably nothing like mine were, but I had a similar experience. You can read about my experience at my blog. The specific Article is "Bouncing Back After Spiritual Assault." Again, I know it's probably not the same situation at all, but I'll be praying for encouragement for all of you.


www.ferventservent.blogspot.com

c.w. goad said...

www.ferventservant.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I hear Charles Stanley repeat over and over again..." Obey God, leave the consequenses to Him". ... Remember what Joyce said something to the effect of ... when you trust you don't need to have the answers. So through this time... stay focused... TRUST and OBEY God....Leave the consequenses to Him. My prayers are with your family.

Anonymous said...

My children went to Englewood for two years before moving to Kansas. We loved Englewood so much. The teachers were so caring and kind and always showed the kids more than just reading, writing and math. They showed the kids God. It meant so much to us for our kids to pray and say the pledges every day. The kids loved chapel and couldn't wait each week for it.

After hearing on tv about the closing I was heart broken. But I know the Englewood church and school staff listen to God and made the right choice. Changes like these are always hard but when we focus our eyes on God, He WILL see us through.

Thank you for our years at Englewood. Thank you to the teachers, office staff, parents, friends, and church staff. We love you and will keep you in our prayers. God Bless!