Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Preparation Continues

The six a.m. prayer has been refreshing and the Lord is definitely moving in my life. This week of preparation is absolutely essential to insure a quality fast. Cleansing your temple through repentance opens the door to hear God's voice more clearly, to be changed by His presence, and to gain a new perspective for His vantage point.

Today I went back to Psalm 51. Remembering that David had looked over the ledge of lust and entertained the thought until sin was fully conceived; he looks to the only source of true redemption-God. In verses two and three David say, "Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me."

What a reminder for us. If we are being honest, our transgressions and sin are always before us. Jeremiah says our "heart is desperately wicked above all things, who can know it." Every one of us fall short of the "glory of God." We can't meet the standard of God's holiness, and the only remedy for our sin is to repent. Turning to God and asking Him to "wash away all our iniquity." Only He can cleanse us from our shortcomings.

We can't take sin lightly in our lives. Today I was reminded of Hebrews 6:6 which tells us that once we have walked in the light of God's Word and continue to sin it's as though we are "crucifying the Lord all over again." Just the thought of me casually treating sin in my life and causing our Lord to be crucified all over again is heartbreaking and distressing. The Message version of this verse says, "Once people have seen the light, gotten a taste of heaven and been part of the work of the Holy Spirit, once they've personally experienced the sheer goodness of God's Word and the powers breaking in on us—if then they turn their backs on it, washing their hands of the whole thing, well, they can't start over as if nothing happened. That's impossible. Why, they've re-crucified Jesus! They've repudiated him in public!"

Let's be like David, a man after God's own heart, and take our sin to God in a serious manner. My prayer for all of us is, "Cleanse us, God, and wash away all our iniquity, Amen."

No comments: