Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Friend Loves at All Times

This week while I was praying, a familiar passage of Scripture came to mind found in Proverbs 17:17 which says, "A friend loves at all times." It caused me to take a moment to reflect about God's love for me, and His friendship.

First, the simple fact that God would call me friend still blows me away. Words cannot express how unbelievable it is to have the unchanging, sovereign God say, "I'm your friend."

Secondly, He even shows us what true friendship is all about: unselfish love. A love that doesn't think about self first, but rather makes the other person the object of friendship and love.

And lastly, His love is constant. It doesn't fluctuate. We don't find it only when we are doing well and are lovable. No, His love is there even when we are unlovable.

And isn't this the litmus test for our all of our relationships? Do we love selflessly at all times? Or do we allow the down times to pull us away from our friends? I believe the true test of one's character is found in their ability to love people at all times. Even when people are unlovable or have done something that causes us to lose trust in them. For a "friend loves at all times."

No comments: