Monday, April 14, 2008

You're A Winner! 4 Keys To Being An Encourager

As a pastor, I perform a number of cermonies like weddings, baby dedications, and funerals. I generally put a lot of effort into these occasions, as they are very important events in peoples' lives.

In fact, for me, preparing a funeral message can sometimes take just as much time as preparing for a Sunday message. I try to make each funeral special and memorable for the family and friends who will gather.

As I was preparing for one such funeral recently, I was reminded of what it means to be an encourager. Throughout my years here in Kansas City, Sister Elizabeth Pascuzzi had been an encourager of mine. She would agree in prayer with me about anything. She would often call me to tell me how much she "loved me", and that I was going to have a "super fantastic day". And every single time she would end the conversation with "Pastor Brian, don't forget.....you're a winner!"

You know, everyone can be an encourager, lifting people up and adding value to their lives. Here are 4 Keys To Being An Encourager:

1. Encouragers commit themselves to giving others encouragement daily: Roman philosopher Lucius Annaeus Seneca observed, "Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness." If you want to lift people up, do it daily.

2. Encouragers know the little difference that separates hurting and helping: The little things you do every day have a greater impact on others than you might think. You hold the power to make another person's life better or worse by the things you do today. Those closest to you—your spouse, children, or parents—are most affected by what you say and do. So are the people you come into contact with every day at work. Use that power wisely.

3. Encouragers initiate the positive in a negative environment: It's one thing to be positive in a positive or neutral environment. It's another to be an instrument of change in a negative environment. Yet that's what encouragers try to do. Sometimes that requires a kind word, other times it takes action, and occasionally it calls for creativity.

4. Encouragers understand life is not a dress rehearsal: Here's a quote I've always loved: "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." People who lift others don't wait until tomorrow or some other better day to help people. They act now!


Remember, YOU'RE A WINNER!



*Adaptations from 12/26/07 article by John C. Maxwell on businessweek.com. Read the entire article here.

No comments: