Friday, April 11, 2008

Idol Worship

Did you catch the Top 8 American Idols performing the worship song "Shout to the Lord"? They actually sang it twice: Wed. night and again Thurs. night. I couldn't believe my ears. I kept thinking, "what is Simon thinking right now?" Better yet, "what is Darlene Zschech thinking right now?"

I have to tell you that it was really good. I felt something. Couldn't tell for sure if it was the anointing I sensed, or if it was just a previously implanted reaction to a worship song that I love and has meaning to me. Make any sense?

Question: Does God actually anoint (i.e. reveal His presence) in situations like that? Jim Cymbala, pastor of The Brooklyn Tabernacle, had a recent quote in which he said, "God doesn't anoint songs. He anoints the people who sing the songs." The context of his remarks were surrounding the process by which they select their choir members, and the standards they hold them to. Okay, I agree with this. I mean, come on, if Madonna was singing Shout to the Lord....

But, I have read/heard that a few of the Idols (Brooke, David A., Kristy) have some Christian influences in their lives. Who knows how they really live, but if it's true they are Christians, then "when 2 or 3 are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them." That's the presence of God!

I'm no theologian by far, but I think the key here is "gather in my name" or "because of me". I'm pretty sure that soundstage full of Hollywood people weren't there in Jesus' name. On the other hand, don't we serve an awesome and fearless God bold enough to declare Himself among the unbelieving multitude?

Enough debate. I know one thing: one day, every knee will bow.

I was going to post the video for you, but I noticed our friend Jason Allen of LifeConnection Church already did. So click here to watch the performance. Enjoy and decide for yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, the pastor here in Hawaii made comment Sun. about the fact that they are praying for Simon. He said Simon has been to the Lakewood Church In Australis 3 times, something must be bringing him back there! Aloha, Chuck and Sharon