Saturday, August 18, 2007

Marty Pattin

I was born in Charleston, IL the home of the Eastern Illinois University Panthers. As a kid, every once in a while my parents would take us to get pizza at a place called Marty's.

Marty's was located across the street from the University and was always hopping with activity from the college students. It also had pinball games and a jukebox. I loved going there! Marty's also had a lot of baseball memorabilia from a guy named Marty Pattin. He played high school baseball in Charleston. He later played at Eastern Illinois, then went pro. At this time in my life, this was about as close as I had been to anything or anyone famous. So I thought this place was "pretty cool."

I didn't realize then that Marty Pattin went on to pitch in the Majors from 1968 - 1980. You might remember him, because he also pitched here in Kansas City for six seasons (1974-1980). However, you might not know the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey says.

As I remember the story, Marty grew up in difficult times, and at one time lived out of his car. A family heard about his plight and reached out to him to provide some stability as well as a place to live. The only catch, he had to maintain a "B" average, which he was able to do. They would later introduce him to the head baseball coach at Eastern Illinois, in hopes of a college scholarship. He was eventually granted a scholarship. Marty earned both a Bachelor's and Master's degree from EIU, and the rest is history.
Who could know that two boys from Charleston, IL would find their way to Kansas City. Since he was also the head coach at the University of Kansas, we also cheer for the same college team. Go 'Hawks!
And by the way, the family that reached out to Marty Pattin in his days of need? They also taught me Sunday school when I was in first grade. Small world! Reach out and make a difference in your world today.

No comments: