Monday, October 13, 2008

Leadership Development

Each Monday morning I meet with someone for a time of mentoring on the subject of leadership. Recently we have been going through John Maxwell's, "Developing the Leader within You." I have probably read the book or watched the curriculum at least a half a dozen times. And every time I do, I learn something new.

This is most likely because each time I'm at a different place in my life and ministry. Today I was struck with one simple thought, "in leadership you must love people." I know that not everyone who loves people is naturally a good leader. However, I also don't any good leaders who don't sincerely love people.

I'm definitely not saying that I'm a good leader, but I do love being around people. When things aren't going so well, the natural tendency for many people is to run away and hide. I call for a party, the more the better. I draw strength from people and love the interaction .

People are what makes leading fun... and sometimes frustrating. But without people, you aren't really leading. So the more you value and love people, the greater your leadership will be.

No comments: