Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Lifestyle...ECA...

The past few weeks my eyes have been opened to a whole new lifestyle. A lifestyle I thought I already lived... but an elementary school taught me different.

As Christmas break was coming up I thought... how can I get the kids to remember what I challenge them to do? So we made the last chapel before break a “challenge” chapel. We had been talking about doing Acts of Random Kindness and I gave them a track sheet to write down their “ACTS” to bring back after Christmas break. The elementary students of Englewood Christian Academy did awesome, 40% of the kids participated.

The “ACTS” ranged from doing a sibling's chore, shoveling snow, visiting a elderly person in the hospital, picking up coins that an elderly lady dropped, donating clothes and toys, helping mom cook dinner, help dad clean the garage, helping grandma fold clothes, helping grandpa clean his car, bringing food to a homeless man....and the list goes on and on and on.

The funny thing is now all the kids are really thinking about it, how can they make a difference? How can they change their world? What would happen if everyone did “ACTS”? What would our world be like? Several of the kids did “ACTS” for strangers...how many adults would do it for a perfect stranger? This activity did more than make me think, it made me change my lifestyle. I want the kids that see me everyday to see something different about me. I want to show them “ACTS” not talk to them about it.

Jesus was that perfect example, again, of showing us to do those random acts of kindness...His whole life was about doing that. I want to be like Him and I want to show the kids that they can make a difference in this life.

Pastor Amy Bales - Children's Pastor & Elementary Chapel Director, Englewood Ministries

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is awesome to see our Pastors and teachers living out what they are teaching out kids