Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Monday Night Football

I've watched MNF regularly since I was a kid like many others across America. I especially like watching when my favorite team, the Chicago Bears, are playing. So tonight I find myself in a familiar place, and I'm witnessing a third string quarterback look good at times and very bad at others.

At one point in the game, the Bears had 4th and 1 and decided to go for it. It was the right call, but the wrong play. The Bears don't have a great record this year, but they are still one of the best teams on short yardage in the league. Most of their success comes off of the run. The 4th and 1 call was for a play action pass and the third string quarterback couldn't execute a simple roll out. Note to Bears coaching staff: "Run the football!" Keep to your strengths.

But it got me thinking, how many times do organizations (churches) go away from something they do well. They get away from their strengths. Instead of staying focused on the one thing they do best, they expand their service and become mediocre.

For us, we are called to save souls and to be an outreach minded church. Even though we may add something to our overall ministry that serves the church body or community, our goal is to win souls. Though the methods may change, our focus is to share Christ with as many people who will listen. I pray we always keep the main thing, the main thing. Let's play to our strengths!

No comments: