Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Confession is Good for the Soul

Confessed anything lately? Recently, I had sat down with a good friend and I did just that-confessed something.

During my prayer times, God had been dealing with me about a certain conversation we had months ago. Trying to be funny (this usually gets me in trouble every time) I said something that seemed cute at the time, but I grew to regret.

Although my comment wasn't directed at my friend, I still said it in her presence. I really felt I needed to get it cleaned up and grow up. So I did it.

This is what we're supposed to do as people who claim to have a relationship with Christ. James 5:16 tells us to...

"Make this your common practice:
confess your sins (your slips, your false steps, your offenses, your sins)
to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together
whole and healed. The prayer of a person living right with God
is something powerful to be reckoned with." (MSG + AMP)

I mess up a lot, so I could probably do this quite frequently if I really thought about it!

So, what do you need to confess? In addition to confessing to God, we must get better at James 5:16. This requires a laying down of pride, a little bit of courage, and an increase in maturity--but it's worth it, so do it soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't you hate it when you say something that you wish you didn't even when you realize it was not meant to offend... but it did? But aren't you glad that God gives us the courage to try and make it right and the mindfullness to watch our lips?